Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines Day

So the best day of the year has finally arrived. I have exactly 9 minutes to post before the first of my cakes are done. Yesterday I worked all day trying to finish B's gift. I had hoped to make the eggplant bisque, make the cakes and clean the house.  Reality is no of those things got done.  I put 7 straight hours into B's gift counting an emergency trip trip to Michael's because I didn't have tape or glue.  Last night I felt like a mess, too much to do and not enough time to do it in.  All I could obsess over was my "list" of crap to finish.  I even threatened to stay up in the spare room finishing all my secret presents.

Not that today is anything about pasts' but B has never had a "real" valentines day. Like a day of love and cards and special dinners. So lucky for him we live together and I'm slightly crazy over my love of valentines day.

I awoke in the middle of the night to count my eggs because heaven forbid I need to make another trip to the damn store.  Thankfully since there is only two of us I cut every recipe in half! I got up bright and early made pink velvet cake instead of red.  Not on purpose mind you but because the box of food coloring is so damn tiny.  It's 8:18, I have made two cakes (baking now), and cupcakes are waiting there turn.  I still have to char my eggplant, clean up all the hair off the floor, decorate the house, finish B's gifts, wrap said gifts and get myself ready all before 6pm.  I should be able to manage depending on how long B's gift takes.

Side note about eggplants, While attempting to figure out this recipe I youtube'd some eggplant cooking shows.  Sunday night I asked my mom how on earth to pick an eggplant, both of us were clueless.  The thing with eggplants is picking a male plant, they are less bitter (who knew). The male plants have no indention on the bottom, the females have a distinct "v".  Good news I picked a male on accident!

Side side note, B will not be quiet about the hand mixer thing he keeps asking me for milkshakes.  Why on earth would you buy me a gift and not make me a milkshake?

Cakes are done!

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything came together for you! Did you cave and make a pink milkshake to go with your cakes?

    ReplyDelete