Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The day after

Monday and tuesday were spent running myself into the ground to have the perfect valentines day, and just like that its over.  Since becoming a swimmer anything that takes more time preparing than enjoying is considered a race. All in all my valentines race was as perfect as could be.  Here are some pictures of the prepping.
The garland on the headboard I made by hand, the petals are fabric

Banner and more garland I made 
Pink red velvet cakes
Place settings at dinner with eggplant soup
More tinsel around mirror
Heart tinsel wrapped around the light 

Before (with toasted almonds)
After 


That pretty much sums up most of the work I did.  We were sitting at dinner and B asks where I bought all this stuff from. I told him that i bought the supplies at Michaels but MADE everything but the foil sign.  He was pretty impressed and asked if I wold do this for St. Patty's day.  I happily agreed.  It was really special to see how surprised he was to see the house decorated.

On to gifts.  I love valentines day to the point that I see a deeper meaning.  Its not about the chocolate, the jewelry or the flowers. Its about thought, care and making someone know they are extra special.  After I had a mini meltdown over see's candy last weekend explained my theory to B.  Like a typical male I figured he stopped listening 5 seconds after I began ( I was wrong).  So for B I did the cliche' flowers, the one I chose was fake and lit up.  I also told him he could use it anytime he wanted to get me flowers without sending an ass load of money. (this is part joke from his awards banquet when wives got flowers and hubbys got plaques and he threatened to give me the old flowers)  Second I got him a silly tin which I filled with gag gifts.  His final and most time consuming gift was a photo album filled with all the adventures we had been on in the last year.  I am a pack rat and save every scrap of paper, pen, bag ect just for things like this.  It featured our vacations, date nights, movies, friends, and the love that we have.

Enough mushy stuff, lets talk about gifts from B.  When I though he stopped listening I was so wrong.  he sent me a dozen chocolate strawberries. Which were delicious and one of my favorite things to eat.  Second he got me an F.A.O stuffed cow.  While some of you make think this is crazy, my heart turned into a puddle of goo.  His comment about the cow was" I know you have been looking at this for months, I bought it for you to love until Bean is here and your ready to give it to him".  I have an obsession for cows that is unhealthy and have "needed" this toy for Bean since before christmas.  Its so soft and cuddly.  Next present I open is a puzzle.  Its a maze puzzle that is made for 4yr olds.  There is no stinkin way a 4yr old could do this EVER! Anyways over christmas I played one of these things for hours and hours( determined to show it who is boss). I looked everywhere for them amazon, ebay, target, toys r us ect. I finally found them but refused to pay $30 for a toy that a 4yr old can beat.  Needless to say I kept talking about them, told my parents about them, anyone who would listen. B got me the rookie and the epic versions.  Once again some may think really dude toys on valentines day?  They were perfect, Outside of the box presents that I love.
He did think about me, what I like and what I had been wanting.  These wont die like flowers, melt like chocolate or turn my ears green from fake silver.

Side note: I did ask for these puzzles to be part of my birth plan.  Crazy that they distract me so much that I wanted to use them to help me focus during contractions.





 Update on soup: tasted better than I expected, not worth the time or money to make. Leftovers frozen as a request from B.

Crab: Southern King Crab from argentina not alaska was amazing. slightly smaller ( thinner shell= more meat per pound) and very very sweet. Will buy again!

Garlic heart shaped biscuits: yummo will make again

Cake: frosting was cream cheese based much better than sugary frosting. very moist and nuts add unique flavor!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Your Valentine's Day sounds better than my Christmas!

    Everything looked perfect, I'm glad you had an incredible night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come do that at my place next year? LOL!

    ReplyDelete