Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Couch Potato vs. Star Athlete

Since becoming pregnant I have become less than active, more like sedentary.  I would rise to eat, pee or get the mail, the other 16 hours were spent reclined on the couch.  While I had an awful bout of morning sickness, it passed about a month ago.  I'm still not gaining weight but my ass, arms and thighs seem to be expanding at an alarming rate.  Not only does being a lazy sloth make you lazy but it makes you flabby as well.  Friday I purchased a gym membership at an all women's gym hoping that I would meet other pregos and stay motivated.

Monday morning I get all geared up to go swim.  Literally geared up, new bag, new suit, new goggles ect.  Its mandatory to see a fitness counselor before getting started, I threw this lady for a loop.  I filled out her paperwork with just my name as the rest of the info was not important, I'm pregnant and my numbers will be increasing not decreasing.  She then had boot camp Sally come in to recruit me for the olympians water aerobics.  Once again, I'm pregnant I will not be participating in your death camp but thanks.  Next the fitness test, 5 minutes on a bike to measures how fit I am was a joke.  I was already tired and panting before I got in the pool.

I swam for an hour at a very slow pace.  I stayed hydrated and took breaks when needed.  Yet I was surprised when I tried to get out of the pool I could not pull myself up.  I walked out instead, or atleast tried too.  My legs were jello, I was dizzy and out of breathe like I just completed the iron man.

It's now day two and I have to go even though my knee is killing me and my hips are going to pop off like an old barbie. Today my goal is to stretch and not try and hold myself to old standards.  I still have 5 months to get this body into baby bearing shape.  I would post before and after pictures but it's pointless.

4 comments:

  1. They seriously made a pregnant woman under go a fitness test?? I'm not sure I like your gym! Conversely, my yoga instructor is tailoring her yoga classes to cater to my pregnantness.
    I hope your gym finds some understanding soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I've just popped over from Yaeli's blog. Congratulations on your bump! It seems swimming can be a bit deceiving. At the beginning I thought it would be nice, low impact and so on but then after...I totally get the hip soreness, I was hobbling round like an old lady all the next day! I hope it gets easier! Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christie, I have browsed your blog too :0. I swam for about 40 minutes and did stretches and squats the other 20. It's now evening an my arms are throbbing and my hips hurt like crazy. Thanks for the congrats, you deserve it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaeli's comment on yoga is a good one, if you're starting to exercise now may you should try something like that as well.

    Any chance there is a yoga or pilates for expecting mothers near you? Would solve the 'finding other pregos' thing too.

    ReplyDelete