Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lesson Learned

It has almost been a week since I spent monday evening in L&D. To be honest I would have kept pushing off the cramping/ contraction feeling had it not been for B. I had already been dealing with this uncomfortable nagging pain for a few hours by the time he got home, another few and we would be in bed right  wrong!

To put his mind at ease I called the midwife and explained what was going on, for how long it had been going ect. I got a list of things to do and instructions to call back in an hour. I soaked in that darn bath until I was a purned prune with no luck to stop these contractions.  I called back with another update and told to go straight to L&D they would be expecting me.

Upon arrival they were indeed expecting me and we got seen right away.  I had to leave a "sample" if you know what I mean.  Change into a gown that could have been a top sheet for my bed, and start giving my life history to a nurse.

First they wanted to put an IV in my arm.  I flat out refused. I explained that I was well hydrated and did not need one. I also told the nurse than if she sent in the Dr. to tell me why I needed and IV I would be leaving.  (at this point she still hadn't even checked my "sample" for hydration/uti/protein/whoknowswhat)
Next I got hooked up to all those fancy monitors to check on Bean and measure the contractions. They are super tight and full of germs! The nurse asked me a thousand questions none related to the current problem, but she is supposed to be the medical professional right?

In the 15 minutes it took for her to ask questions, hook me up, look at my pee I had roughly 10 contractions lasting over a minute.  (B made the call to come I would have stayed home, for once he was right.  Shhhh don't tell him) 
Honestly the damn bed was more uncomfortable than the contractions. And rude that a nurse came in to tell me to stop moving my legs because it was confusing the monitor. By the way nurse I never moved my legs but thats ok I understand the need to assert authority. 

My original nurse came in and said that I would be getting a shot to stop the contractions as they were increasing in length and frequency. I had to sign my life away and agree to not sue if my unborn child was somehow harmed in this process. After that she came in with said shot, I am a wuss. After asking her about side effects, size of needle, amount of medication ect she poked my arm. The "TB" syringe she used was nothing, the fire spreading through my arm was awful. Her forewarning of it stinging a little was more than an understatement.

Two hours of sitting and waiting and still having contractions, nurse comes in and says" I think you have a full bladder you should go relieve yourself" I had just went and wanted nothing to do with going again but I obliged. Her next response was even better " a full bladder could cause stress to the uterus, drink this liter of water to stay hydrated".

Wait? What? You just said having a full bladder was giving me the contractions and now your asking me to drink more water? Like I said earlier medical professionals at there finest.

So after tests and more tests I had no medical reason to cause this bout of preterm labor. Since I hadn't dilated they let me go home. Poor B got 3 hours of sleep and went to work in the morning.

What I learned from this experience. I could not deliver in the hospital. The staff is far to judgy about my current prenatal care. Oxymorons are regularly practiced. With the exception of a few tests and a shot in my arm I wasted 5 hours of my life in an uncomfortable bed.  The medical practice itself is so screwed up they make you sign over your rights and agree to whatever medical treatment they see fit. I have too much attitude to lay on my back and accept their "de-vine intervention".

On that note it was a fun test run. I will not be purchasing the hospital experience. I did pass go, collected 9 weeks of bedrest and a uterus relaxing regiment, let the real fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment