Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Parenting102

Earlier this week I posted about parenting, actually I believe it was yesterday but anywho.  On our way home from dinner I asked B if he had given any more thought as to how he would like to parent.  Typical male response " no I haven't thought about it".  I calmly replied with " ok, let me give you an example"...( honest I did respond like that, no bitchy mean dig either).  My example went like this " a mom is having trouble with her son who keeps biting.  He bites for fun and when reprimanded he laughs and bites more.  This said mom can not stop her son from biting, she has tried every approach in the book.  Said mom walks in on son and dad playing, dad is biting son.   Whether it is in play or the dads idea of showing the kid I'm not sure, but the message is clear: One parent is the rule breaker and one is the rule setter." After the brief story B somewhat understood what point I was trying to make and agreed to go to the nice mommy school if I liked it.

I think that is one of my biggest fears about parenting.  I want to be the cool mom but have the Bean understand that I am a parent too.  These days it seems like one parent tries to keep order and the other is just another rule breaking kid.  Is it too much to ask for the parents to be on the same page? I can already see the Bean being grounded me saying no to an activity and B saying sure go ahead and go.  His discipline or lack there of works well for him but not for structuring a home.  This is something we must work on.

On a lighter note, Thanksgiving is tomorrow and everything is made but the stinkin turkey! I thought that being pregnant on thanksgiving was going to be awesome and I would actually eat.  I was wrong, I feel like I have been eating it though osmosis.  I just want sweets.  Every night I complain that I want a cake. B does not give into these preggo rants and says too bad.  I ate a sleeve of cookies yesterday! I also have more desserts for tomorrow than sides.  Awesome for me, sucks for the boys.  Everyone have a safe and happy holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment