Friday, December 30, 2011

The Cut

Todays topic is highly controversial and causes many arguments.  With this being my blog, I have the right to post my opinions freely!  For those with boys, circumcision is a choice that has to be made.  Before we even found out if Bean was a boy B and I discussed options.  Some of my readers may feel that this is an inappropriate topic and is no ones business.  However I disagree. Much like homebirth, the options regarding circumcision are not discussed.  As a parent it is my job to put my son first, to make well informed decisions about his well being.  With that being said lets begin.

The first question, what is circumcision?

circumcisingpresent participle of cir·cum·cise (Verb)

Verb:
  1. Cut off the foreskin of (esp. a baby) esp. as a religious rite.
  2. Cut off the clitoris, and sometimes the labia, of (a girl or young woman) as a traditional practice among some peoples.
Notice that not only does it apply to sons, it also applies to daughters.  Much to america's dismay female circumcision is still routinely preformed in India and other eastern countries.  Preforming this procedure on a female is down right ridiculous and seen as grounds for body activists to go crazy.  Yet for sons it is common place.  How is that fair, equal or less painful because the "majority" have it done?

The second question, Why is circumcision preformed?

Because it's not usually medically needed, circumcision is done on newborns mainly for cultural reasons. For example, parents may make the decision about circumcision based on religious and family traditions, personal preferences, or the social norms of their communities.


Based solely on the reason above, circumcision is not necessary for Bean since neither B nor I have any religious background.  Mainly Judaism, where circumcision is still done but not required.  With no religious reason pertaining to our situation, why would I subject my son to unnecessary torture?


The third question, Is this a painful procedure?


Circumcision is a surgical procedure that involves forcefully separating the foreskin from the glans and then cutting it off. It is typically accomplished with a special clamp device . Over a dozen studies confirm the extreme pain of circumcision. It has been described among the most painful [procedures] performed in neonatal medicine.  In one study, researchers concluded that the pain was severe and persistent.  Increases in heart rate of 55 beats per minute have been recorded, about a 50 percent increase over the baseline. After circumcision, the level of blood cortisol increased by a factor of three to four times the level prior to circumcision. Investigators reported, This level of pain would not be tolerated by older patients.


I would conclude that it is indeed painful.  It is not just a snip of the skin, it is forcefully removing skin by separating layers of glands and nerves.  To anyone considering this I beg you to watch a video on circumcision. 


Before hearing the news that Bean was a boy, I thought all boys had this done.  In fact only around 54% of males are circumcised now compared to 91% in the 1970's.  WOrld wide, 80% of males are uncircumcised.  After hours of research, too many medical videos and documentaries, we have chosen to keep Bean intact.  It is his right to choose should he want this awful procedure done in the future.  There is no religious or medical reason that proves this is necessary.  Until there is actual proof to justify this inhumane torture, my boys will be uncut!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry...this is long...

    I agree with this post. Let them decide what to do with their own body. It is so unfair to take away an important part of their sexual organ without their permission. Many people have told me to "do it now because it will be worse for him in the future," as if he will need to get it done anyway. They tell me that being intact is "dirty" and will "cause infections." They also say that "he will be made fun of in the locker room and come home crying, then I will regret not getting it done." I was also told that "he'll have problems with sex if he isn't circumcised." Here are my rebuttals on all of this:

    1. It is not worse pain in the future. Older boys and adults are put under general anesthesia (because of the torturous pain of being awake during the procedure). After the surgery, they are given pain relief. Babies do not get any of this. They may get a numbing injection, which doesn't last through the entire surgery, and of course no pain meds during recovery. Babies who are cut cry every time they pee as well.

    2. Being intact is certainly not dirty. I guess if it is than all the men in Europe, Asia, and nearly every other part of the world are dirty (because pretty much no one in every other part of the world gets circumcised). All a male needs to do is pull foreskin back, rinse with water, and release. I'm pretty sure men clean very well "down there" anyways, so what is the issue??

    3. As far as infection, that is just a dumb argument. Being circumcised and in a diaper, with pee and poo touching the open wound, would be more apt to cause infection than to be left alone. Girls can get infection "down there" (such as yeast infection), so do you cut off their labia?? No. You treat with antibiotics. If a boy gets an infection "down there" you would do the same, not cut off part of his penis.

    4.It is silly that people bring in the fact that intact boys will be made fun of in the locker room. First, why would boys look at eachother? That is weird and just wrong. Second, foreskin is not that big a deal. A boy can pull it back and make it look just like a circumcised penis if he really wanted to. Third, why on earth would a parent cut a part of their child's body off just to avoid teasing? So if a child is born with big ears would you get an "ear reduction?" If they were born with a big nose would you do a rhinoplasty on your infant? No, because that would be stupid...

    5. Ok, so you may say that sex will be an issue with an intact man. How? Sex feels like a million times better when uncut. The foreskin is a sexual ORGAN, not a flap of skin. It is meant to be there for protection, lubrication, and PLEASURE. It is better sex for the man AND the woman. This is known to be true because men who were circumcised as adults have said so, and they all regret being circumcised because of the sheer loss of pleasure during sex. Their wives miss the foreskin as well. So I would actually think sex would be an issue WITHOUT a foreskin.

    That is all my venting for now! I could go on and on though. I have chosen not to slice off my son's foreskin, and I have been met with horrible opposition from my husband and family, but it is what I need to do to protect my son and give him freedom of choice when he is older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with many of the points you have raised, however I am leaning towards circumcision if we have a son, and The Man supports me, for religious reasons.

    I have no problem with uncircumcised men. The Man is uncircumcised, as are his first three boys. I agree that circumcision has nothing to do with cleanliness.

    I was born and raised in a reform Jewish household. I did my Bat Mitzvah, and attended a Jewish high school, which I credit for destroying my desire to practice Judaism due to it's attitude towards reform Jews. But regardless of my lack of practice, I still identify strongly with the Jewish race. Being Jewish is part of my identity.

    As the Jewish religion passes along the maternal line, I would like to raise any child of mine to identify with the Jewish religion, and in this I have The Man's full support. Part of this means that if I have a son, we will make the decision to have him circumcised (again something that The Man supports).

    For the Jewish people circumcision is a crucial part of being Jewish and represents the Jewish people's covenant with god. Contrary to your statement, circumcision is required to be considered a Jew, unless there is a medical condition which precludes the procedure.

    I am the only girl in my family line, and the only one therefore with the privilege to be able to pass on the Jewish religion unless one of my brothers marries a Jew.

    I am not blindly making this choice, or doing it because it is "fashionable". I am making this choice because it is part of my and my children's identity.
    I am doing my research, and will be selecting qualified and highly skilled professionals to perform the circumcision should we have a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaeli, your points are justified from the religious standpoint. If I was religious and felt strongly about it I would choose circumcision. I think in my post I did mention that to be Jewish it is no longer required to be circumcised but still encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm not sure where you get that information from D. Have you spoken to a Rabbi about it?

    I know that there are many Jews, orthodox or not, that would take offense to that statement, as they firmly believe in circumcision as being a fundamental part of a male child or grown man becoming a Jew, regardless of whether you are born Jew or convert later in life.

    Some very interesting articles come up if you google "circumcision in the Jewish faith", if you are interested in reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to be a comments board hog, but this article may help to explain my position, and the Jewish position on circumcision a little more eloquently than I am able. http://judaism.about.com/od/birthtomarria2/f/bris_ideology.htm

    The site also has an interesting article on the distinction between hospital based circumcision and a Jewish "bris".

    Thanks for opening the door to such an open discussion about this! It's nice to be able to discuss each other's opinions!

    ReplyDelete