Wednesday, April 25, 2012

BirthClass #2

We ventured into labor land last night.  Two hours of no stop labor coping, labor support, and making "change".  It was an experience. Since this is my blog I will share our experience the way it happened, not the way movies show it.  Judge if you choose, this my reality!

In previous posts I have mentioned that B and I have an unconventional way of dealing with serious situations, emotions, and over all being mushy gushy.  Sarcasm and verbal jabs are more likely to be heard than encouragement. Even though I bitch about it on occasion and still like the mushy stuff I think I would laugh and feel embarrassed if B suddenly became verbally supportive.

With that being said, coping through early labor was a huge topic yesterday.  The instructor kept going on about the support person and how important it is be calm, reassuring and assist the laboring mom however is needed. She also warned us that in labor smells, sounds, and annoyances become heightened.

Conversation Between B and I. 
B-so no picking my toes, fingers, no breathing on you, no throat clearing
Me- basically you shouldn't be the support person, there are a lot of don'ts already


Later in the class the instructor was talking about how during transition the "support" person should not ever leave the mothers side.  Not to pee, eat, sleep, drink ect.

Conversation #2 
B- so if I'm hungry who's going to make my food
me- probably not me, I doubt I will be getting out of the tub to fix you a frigging sandwich


Apparently visualizing labor and birth can make a huge impact on labor progress. We got homework to practice visualizing and relaxing for in-between contractions. Rewards after contractions such as touch, affection or praise can really boost the laboring moms energy and relaxation.

Conversation #3
B- do you want a cookie after each contraction
me- no, do you want me to smack you?
B- How about conversations hearts, you love those
me- still no, how about no food, no touching and you keep stupid comments to yourself, that should work great




Conversation #4 
B- how are you going to relax
me- I will figure it out
B- do you know how?
me- obviously not, I'm not a relaxed person, not even a little bit
B- you should really start thinking about relaxing


Fast forward to evening

B shouting from the bathroom. " I'm going to visualize, relax and get this process moving"
Seriously he is comparing having a baby to taking a shit. In his expert opinion they are practically the same. Good to know it works people.  That is the way we do it around here.  Make light of every situation and go with the flow.  On the upside I know he listened in class, I got to hear the whole demonstration again......

No comments:

Post a Comment